The United States Mint announced the launch of 2017-S Silver Proof set . as the President $1 Coin Program ended in 2016 with the release of the dollar coins recognizing Presidents Richard M. Nixon, Gerald R. Ford and Ronald Reagan the 10-coin, 2017-S Silver Proof set will be the first such set in 10 years not to contain a Presidential dollar. The set is one of the annual numismatic products for which customers may place guaranteed orders through the U.S. Mint’s Enrollment Program and will be able to purchase the 2017-S Silver Proof set beginning at noon Eastern Time June 7.
The 2017-S Silver Proof set is being offered at $47.95, $5 less than was charged for the 13-coin 2016-S Silver Proof set. Unlike circulating coins, proof coins display brilliant backgrounds with frosted, sculpted foregrounds. Proof coins receive the highest quality strike possible and can be distinguished by their sharpness of detail and brilliant, mirror-like surface. The coins are placed in presentation lenses to showcase and preserve their exceptional finish. The 2017-S Silver Proof set comes with;
- Five United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters® Program coins – All 90 percent silver – Effigy Mounds National Monument, Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, Ozark National Scenic Riverways, Ellis Island National Monument (Statue of Liberty), and George Rogers Clark National Historical Park,
- One Native American $1 Coin – manganese-brass clad,
- One Kennedy half dollar – in 90 percent silver,
- One Roosevelt dime – 90 percent silver,
- One Jefferson nickel – copper-nickel,
- One Lincoln penny – copper-plated zinc.
Images courtesy of U.S. Mint.